Thursday, January 31, 2013

Life skills timeline

I am going to make a timeline of things I think the kids need to know before they move out and when I think they should start learning how to do it. Below are some of the suggestions I got from friends:
 
Laundry, cook, meal plan, balance budget, Get along with others, manage money, keep their things organized and neat, laundry, good work ethic and some basic auto and handyman skills. knowledge of how to use tools. boys and girls. Cooking, good hygiene, accountability, good manners, responsibility, and empathy. Independence. They need to learn how to do things on their own, or find answers on their own. Money management...save first, spend later. NEVER spend beyond your means. How to cook and clean.  Change car oil, drive stick shift, sew buttons, light pilot light.
 
All of these are good suggestions. So I think I will make categories of things I think they should know and then start plugging in skills. After I complete that part, I will start assigning appropriate ages to each skill. Then I will make some achievement pages for each skill that can be marked to show progress in each skill.
 
Cleaning:
Kitchen (dishes, sweep, mop, wipe surfaces, clean fridge/freezer)
Bathroom (toilet, sink, tub/shower, floors, mirrors)
Wash windows
Vacuum
Dust
Clean a gaage
Laundry--wash, fold, and put away
Keeping clutter picked up
Make a bed, change and wash sheets
Keeping things organized--a place for everything and everything in its place
 
Cooking:
Healthy eating
Bake (bread, cake, cookies, chicken, veggies)
Meal plan (Stay on a budget)
Shop (looking for the best deal, knowing if something is ripe)
Cook the meal
Clean up the meal
 
Money Skills:
Budget
Stick to a budget
Strategies of sticking to and keeping track of your budget
Save, tithing, spend
How to use a credit card and it's purpose
Run a business?
 
Handyman skills:
Car
Change oil
Wash the car--in and out
How to keep it in good working order
Home
Mow the lawn

How would you teach social skills systematically? Or would you just teach them as things come up?
Social Skills:
How to plan a party
looking people in the eye when you talk, being polite, phone manners, saying please and thank you, waiting patiently for your turn, learning to be observant and offer help when needed,


Other skills:
Grow a garden
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment